Monday 10 January 2011

A post in which I blurt out (some of!) my insecure thoughts..

As my one year blog birthday approaches (April, so a couple of months yet) I can't help but wonder if I could have done it better. Not because I'm ungrateful for what I have, or because I want to have a moan, these are just some of the thoughts wandering through my head.

I've loved writing the posts that I've done and I've enjoyed just about everything to do with being part of the blogging community. I'm ashamed to admit however that I look at other, newer blogger's (or the same "age" as me) reader count and the amount of comments they get, somewhat enviously. 



I have a wonderful 201 readers and page views that are getting higher and I'm definitely not complaining, but I just can't help but wonder if I'd written differently, or about different things, if I'd not be feeling like this and feel that I was doing really well. 


It frustrates me that it bothers me but I really think that wanting to be better,  in whatever you do, is natural. I still love to read these blogs, my feelings and personal insecurities don't get in the way of that! They're well written, interesting, light-hearted, which is reflected in the amount of readers they have.

But then confidence becomes an issue too, I wonder why I've not managed to do as well as they have, is my blog boring, does my writing need to be better, am I not entertaining enough? ;) I am in no way fixated with readers/followers/page views, but with them being a reflection of how well I write and how many people enjoy what I do, it's hard not to! 

This doesn't really mean anything in terms of my blog. I'll keep on going and enjoying writing and posting and taking photo after photo trying to get the perfect one...! I'd really love some feedback on what I could do to improve my blog however, it seems a good time to review, so there's going to be a poll up on the side for you to tell me what you want! 

x

Image credit: click on photo for link.

7 comments:

Jaz said...

I know exactly what you mean! My blogs one year anniversary is in April to and although my page views are ok and my followers are growing slowly I still envy other peoples blogs!

I think you write your posts really well and I love reading your blog :)
Jaz (snazzyjazzy on Ayme!)

Jess said...

I think we are all inspired by other people's blogs, I'm a big fan of yours and I always read your posts. Also, it's better to have 10 followers who read every post, than 100 who read one or two. Keep up the good work and keep positive. :)

xo

Ivonne said...

Aw keep your head up, I love your blog!:)

Leanne said...

Personally Rachel, I love your blog! I think you're doing fantastically and while I am a bad commenter in general, I always read your posts. You have a lovely writing style that lets your personality shine through and you should be proud of what you've achieved :) I know you are, the same as I'm proud of my blog, but like you and everyone else in the world I wish I could be better.
It's really not just you, we all feel like that - I have over 1000 followers now and I still get envious of other people. I don't know what the magic formula is regarding people who shoot past 1000, 2000, 3000 followers within a couple of months, I don't think anyone ever will.
But honestly, I promise you that yours is one of the better blogs out there :)
Keep it up, I'll always be reading!
xxx

Unknown said...

I love your blog hun :) I think it's really honest and interesting and has helped me get to know more about you, which is really nice :D I love the product reviews you do, and your NOTD/FOTD posts are always fab!

I recently found another blog where the person has decided not just to stick to make-up, but talks about all sorts of things - from cooking to book reviews. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with your blog, but if you're looking for ideas of how to branch out you could perhaps expand to other things. But if you stay just the way you are, I will still be reading every post and no doubt loving it!!

xxxx

Rosalyn said...

I know what you mean, my blog is 1 today but still fairly small but my page views are increasing and I get more comments than I used to so I'm happy. I love your blog xx

Rachel said...

Thank you all so much, it means huuge amounts to have such lovely comments and a big surprise too!

I guess it was just one of those days where all the little niggly insecurities come out, but so lovely to have your support :)

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...