Wednesday 29 December 2010

Review: Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect foundation

It's been a while since I used a liquid foundation, but every winter I start thinking about it and then I get disheartened and overwhelmed in Boots with the shades, and being in the way (aisles are too narrow for more than one person to browse properly at a time!) and I leave and forget about it.

It was only when I was in one of my bigger local Superdrug's looking for sleek Sunrise blush (didn't find it annoyingly!) that I started to look at the foundations.

The choice came down to this one, Sleek's foundation (looked quite flat in the bottle) and Bourjois Healthy Mix (a little too yellow looking in the bottle, but one I want to try) and at around £8 it was one of the cheaper ones too.



As I've mentioned (many times!) before, I'm really pale, with skin leaning more towards the neutral-pink base tone, and the shade that I chose was 72- Rose Clair, which matches surprisingly well. I do have to be careful not to apply too heavy handedly but to be honest that's what I've come to expect. The picture below looks incredibly orange for my skin tone but it blends in well to match my skin colour.



It's a relatively thin foundation which makes it really easy to blend and I've been using my ELF studio powder brush to apply which has been doing a really good job at applying this so that it just looks like my skin but better. The finish is gorgeous, a nice middle ground between dewy and matte, a satin-y finish, however it's oil free which stops my normal/combination skin from becoming at all oily.



(Pictures taken mainly in an attempt to capture beautiful glowy (in a good way) finish! Also illustrate how well this blends in).

Coverage is light and you'll definitely need an extra concealer to use with this if you've got redness or blemishes as this isn't heavy enough to double up as cover up (I'm quite impressed with that little rhyme myself...) as well.

My biggest problem with this is longevity, it just doesn't last, whether I've got a base or primer underneath or with powder on the top.

Overall, this starts off looking so promising only to be ruined by it's staying power which is really disappointing! I'll be finishing this by using it for at home and pop to the shop days where it doesn't matter so much if it doesn't last.

Have you tried 10 hour sleep effect? What did you think?

x

3 comments:

Kate said...

I'm very pale too with pink undertones, and I absolutely love Bourjois Healthy Mix - the colour is perfect but the longevity could be better. I'm keen to try this one too, and the Sleek one which looks super pale. If you like Urban Decay enter my Book of Shadows 3 giveaway!
Kat x

Rachel said...

Ooh, thanks for that Kat, that's really helpful :) I've fallen in love with Clarins' True Radiance... It's amazing!

x

Laura said...

I remember I used to use this foundation a couple of years ago when it first came out as it claimed to help with under eyes (I have dark under eye circles) but didn't really like it much and also found it didn't very long.

Have you tried the Mehron HD foundation? That has a gorgeous finish but lasts a lot longer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...